Teeth grinding can be caused by many different things whether it’s stress in your daily life, anxiety, an abnormal or crooked bite, or a sleep disorder. It could even be a habit, and this grinding tends to be more commonly known as bruxism. Symptoms of teeth grinding include:
– Lasting pain in the face
– Pain in the jaw
– Contractions of the jaw muscles
– Dull headaches
– Fractured/loose/painful teeth
Sometimes grinding in children can include irritation in the mouth, misaligned teeth, or even allergies. Treatments for teeth grinding or bruxism include some of the following treatments:
– Reduce your stress levels: pinpoint the things in your life that may be causing you stress and try to eliminate them. Other things such as counseling sessions, group therapy, and exercise are good ways of reducing stress.
– Correcting your bite: consult with your dentist how you can fix the alignment of your smile to stop your grinding.
– Wear a mouth guard: a fitted mouth guard may be recommended by your dentist to wear at night or even during the day. This will effectively reduce grinding and the after effects.
– Relaxing practices for the jaw: relaxing the jaw with a warm washcloth before bed can help relax the cheeks and jaw before you fall asleep.
Talk to Dr. Christopher Burton and our professional team here in Conroe, Texas, about which treatment option is best for you so you can be rid of teeth grinding. Conroe Dental Associates wants to help you be comfortable and have your best smile so give us a call at 936-756-9884 to meet up for a consultation today!